Scars are the result of skin that has experienced trauma and not healed properly. Some skin scars, like those on the back or the side, may be barely noticeable and not be a problem, even if they are somewhat large. Others, if they appear in a more visible location like the face or neck, can be unsettling even if the scar is relatively small. Although they usually fade over time, they are often at least somewhat permanent.
What Are the Causes?
Scar tissue is created when your skin produces collagen faster than normal in order to heal a very serious wound. Rather than healing cleanly, the affected area heals with a patch of thicker, less flexible skin that does not have quite the tone or texture of the surrounding area. Scars are common after surgeries, which require the surgeon to cut all the way through the skin, as well as in cases of serious acne.
Types of Scars
Different types of scars include:
- Keloid – A response to aggressive healing, these scars often go beyond the initial injury and can even hamper movement. They are more common in darker-skinned individuals.
- Hypertrophic – Red patches that are raised in texture but do not go beyond the initial injury like a keloid.
- Contracture – Burn scars that contract the skin where they appear.
- Acne – “ice pick,” “boxcar,” and other raised or recessed bumps that form as a response to severe acne, especially acne that has been repeatedly scratched or picked at.
Treatment for Scars
At Glendale Dermatology, we have a range of treatments designed to reduce the appearance of these markings and improve your skin’s tone and texture. Our treatments include:
- Laser Skin Resurfacing
- Chemical Peels
- Intralesional injections of a cortisone
Some of the above methods are designed to exfoliate the top level of damaged skin and boost collagen production so new skin can heal more cleanly. Injections of cortisone can also reduce and improve the appearance of thickened, raised scars. Dr. Brezel can tell you which of these treatments or combination of treatments is likely to have the most positive effect on your scars.
Treatments for Scars in Queens, NY With Glendale Dermatology
An unsightly scar can affect your self-esteem and quality of life. At Glendale Dermatology, our interventions can make a real difference in your appearance. To find out more, contact us using the form below now and a representative will be in touch shortly.